New York – October 15, 2007 – The Nielsen Company today announced that it has launched two new Internet and mobile measurement services—Nielsen Online and Nielsen Mobile—that build on the company’s leadership positions in both sectors and further enable it to provide clients with an integrated, comprehensive suite of measurement capabilities. These two new services, which will strengthen Nielsen’s ability to deliver comprehensive global measurement of consumer behavior across all media platforms, will be organized as follows:
- Nielsen Online is comprised of the company’s Nielsen//NetRatings and BuzzMetrics services, which provide independent measurement and analysis of online audiences, advertising, video, blogs, consumer-generated media, word-of-mouth, commerce and consumer behavior.
- Nielsen Mobile combines recently acquired Telephia, the leading provider of syndicated consumer research to the telecom and mobile media markets, with several existing Nielsen initiatives in the mobile market. Nielsen Mobile will use its unique measurement tools and large-scale, integrated consumer panels to understand and interpret the behaviors, attitudes and experiences of mobile consumers.
David Calhoun, chief executive officer of The Nielsen Company said, “As consumers experience media through different channels and technologies, it is essential that Nielsen measure and interpret that experience for its clients. With this new structure, we are prepared to focus with even more intensity on delivering the complete picture of consumer activity and behavior in the digital space and across all media platforms.”
Nielsen Online: The Global Leader in Internet Media, Marketing and Consumer- Generated Media Insight
Nielsen announced that Itzhak Fisher, former executive chairman of BuzzMetrics, will lead Nielsen Online as executive chairman of the service. The alignment of Internet capabilities under Nielsen Online will ensure that Nielsen continues to develop, grow and lead an industry supported by more than one billion Internet users worldwide, driving a $30 billion global advertising market with 73 percent of U.S. adults participating in online consumer-generated media.
“The Internet offers critical opportunities for businesses to influence consumer perceptions of brands, products and services,” said Mr. Fisher. Integrating the strong capabilities of these two entrepreneurial organizations into Nielsen Online creates a powerful tool for our clients in the fast-paced, constantly changing online space.”
Nielsen Online offers a broad portfolio of measurement capabilities that enable clients to make informed business decisions about their digital strategies, including:
- Internet media and market research products, supported by patented technologies and innovative and proven research methodologies
- Panel-based and site-centric Internet audience measurement services
- In-depth demographic data, online advertising intelligence, and user lifestyle information
- E-commerce, search and transaction metrics, custom data, research, and analysis;
- Tracking, analysis and measurement of consumer-generated media consumer trends, issues, opinion shifts, predictions and other marketplace-shaping forces
More than 2,000 clients across 16 countries subscribe to Nielsen Online services, including leading advertisers, publishers, technology companies, advertising agencies, retailers and financial services organizations.
In addition to Mr. Fisher, Nielsen Online will be led by Manish Bhatia, president of global services and U.S. sales and a former executive vice president of Nielsen//NetRatings, and by Jonathan Carson, a co-founder of BuzzMetrics, who will serve as president of Nielsen Online’s international organization.
Nielsen Mobile: The Global Standard in Independent Measurement of Mobile Media
Nielsen announced that Sid Gorham, the former CEO of Telephia and a 20-year veteran of the telecom industry, has been named president and CEO of Nielsen Mobile. The creation of Nielsen Mobile solidifies Nielsen’s leadership position in the $350 billion mobile sector, where consumers are rapidly expanding the way they use mobile phones. Among the 237 million wireless subscribers in the U.S., 70 percent use their phones to text message, more than 32 million accessed the Internet on their phones last month, and 41 percent use their phones to send picture messages.
“Even as technology drives more complex consumer behavior, Nielsen continues to innovate rapidly,” said Mr. Gorham. “With our expanded leadership in the mobile space, Nielsen brings clients a complete 360 degree view of their business and consumers. No one else has the ability to deliver comprehensive consumer insight and intelligence across media platforms.”
Nielsen Mobile’s technology-driven research provides a unique and holistic perspective of the attitudes, behaviors and experiences of the mobile consumer, including:
- Insight into what mobile consumers think about brands, devices and services through technology that measures awareness, purchase intent, satisfaction, recommendations and loyalty
- Information about what mobile consumers actually do with their mobile devices by measuring market share, consumer spending, revenue share and other consumer behaviors
- Intelligence into how consumers experience services, networks and devices through proprietary technology that measures network, service and application quality
More than 125 global companies in the telecom and mobile media markets rely on Nielsen Mobile for comprehensive measurement and analysis of mobile consumers, including mobile operators, device manufacturers, retailers, infrastructure vendors, investment analysts and content providers.
In addition to Mr. Gorham, Nielsen Mobile will be led by a group of former Telephia executives. John Forese, Jesse Goranson and Tom Stahl will be responsible for Product Management, Client Service, and Technology and Operations, respectively.
Nielsen Wireless, a recently announced initiative to measure wireless media, will be folded into Nielsen Mobile. Nielsen RingScan, which measures downloaded ringtones, will remain part of the Nielsen Entertainment organization.