Qualitative data analysis software developer QSR International was last night named a finalist for the Market Research Society / Association for Survey Computing Award for Technology Effectiveness.
The title is part of Research Awards 09, the United Kingdom's premier awards program for the market research industry.
QSR International CEO John Owen said the company’s NVivo 8 software was a strong contender for the title.
The product, released last year, allows market researchers to import and analyze video, audio, images and text side-by-side.
“We are thrilled to have NVivo recognized in this way,” said Mr Owen.
“The MRS / ASC Award for Technology Effectiveness has been acknowledging innovative industry leaders and their contribution to research since 2003. We designed NVivo specifically for qualitative research and today it’s used by every major university in Europe, North America and Australasia, as well as by government and commercial organizations, including the UK Policy Studies Institute, global law firm CMS Cameron McKenna, and Loughborough University spin-off company Progressive Sports Technologies.
“We were very pleased to be announced as finalists at an industry function held in London last night.”
Mr Owen said NVivo 8 was developed in close consultation with more than 100 international researchers and decision makers.
The software’s powerful analysis tools help users to interrogate their data - testing out theories, identifying trends and cross-examining information.
“NVivo allows market researchers to do things that simply aren’t possible using traditional or manual approaches to qualitative research,” he said.
NVivo 8’s key features allow users to:
- Import, organize and analyze thousands of audio files, videos, digital photos, Word, PDF, rich text and plain text documents.
- Work with material in any language and choose to work with a software interface in one of six languages, including English, French, German, Spanish, Simplified Chinese and Japanese.
- Work with transcripts or work without them, analyzing material straight from audio and video files. Users can even create transcripts or text files within the software as they go.
- Query data to uncover patterns and themes with a powerful state-of-the-art search engine.
- Create and export professional models and charts, including three dimensional bar graphs and pie charts.
- Query the analysis completed by individuals or teams and run comparisons to show the percentage of analysis that is the same or different across users.
- Merge separate projects and still identify which work was completed by which person, as well as view the notes and analysis completed by each team member.
- Share files and findings, including audio, video or sections of documents with clients or colleagues who don’t have NVivo, using HTML web pages.
The MRS / ASC Award for Technology Effectiveness will be judged by a panel of industry experts, with the winner announced in December 2009.
Watch the NVivo 8 video on QSR International's homepage www.qsrinternational.com ,
or visit www.mrs.org.uk/awards/techeff.htm or www.asc.org.uk/Home.htm#Effectiveness for more information about the Award for Technology Effectiveness.
Please note a media backgrounder on QSR International follows.
Quick facts about QSR International
- QSR International has offices in Europe, North America and Australia.
- The company is the world’s largest qualitative research software developer.
- QSR was the first to deliver qualitative research software programs in Japanese and Simplified Chinese. The company's NVivo 8 software is also available in English, French, German and Spanish.
- QSR’s flagship products – NVivo and XSight – are sold in more than 150 countries.
- Over 400,000 customers use QSR software and more than 500 organizations hold site licenses for its products.
- QSR customers are drawn from the academic, government and commercial sectors and its largest geographic markets are Europe, the United States and Australasia.
- QSR International has patents pending on a range of unique technological inventions.
- QSR is the most published software developer in the qualitative research field - its software is cited in textbooks, research literature, journals and blogs worldwide.
- QSR International is the only developer in its field to earn Microsoft Gold Partner status and ISV competency.
- All QSR software developers are Microsoft Certified Professionals and all software testers have International Software Testing Qualifications Board certification.
- An early adopter of emerging technology, QSR was amongst the first software developers in the world to utilize .Net and Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express. The company was also the first in its field to develop software using Microsoft XP guidelines and to receive Microsoft’s Certified for Vista and Compatible with Windows 7 accreditation.
- QSR won the 2009 Dell Small Business Excellence Award in Australia, and will compete against 12 other countries for the 2009 Global Dell Small Business Excellence Award. QSR also won the Information and Communications Technology category at the Governor of Victoria Export Awards in 2008, 2006 and 2001.
It was highly commended in the same category in 2004 and 2002. The company was selected as a finalist in the Applications and Infrastructure Tools category in the 2007 Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA) iAwards and its XSight software was selected as a finalist in the 2007 MRS/ASC Technology Effectiveness Awards in the United Kingdom.
- While QSR International was formally established in 1995, the company has its origins in 1981 – when the first software product, NUD*IST, was developed.
For more information, visit www.qsrinternational.com or email: l
15 October 2009