11 October 2006
Local software developer with a global focus wins Governor of Victoria Export Award
Software developer QSR International has won the Information and Communications Technology Award at the Governor of Victoria Export Awards for the second time in five years.
QSR CEO John Owen said the win at last night’s award ceremony was a significant achievement for the Doncaster-based company, whose clients include the Ipsos-MORI, Boston’s Children’s Hospital, Harvard University and closer to home, Victoria’s Department of Primary Industries and market research company Crosby Textor.
“To go from a start up technology company to the world’s largest privately owned qualitative research software developer in 10 years is a real testament to Australian ingenuity,” he said.
“We knew we were in a strong position because our software products featured world-first functionality and so we focused on getting our export strategies right from day one. Today we export to 90 countries and hold a 65 percent share of the international market. To be recognised as Victoria’s top technology exporter is just brilliant.”
QSR International’s flagship products – XSight and NVivo 7 – are designed to help researchers and other people working with textual data to compile, compare and make sense of their information quickly and easily. As well as market research agencies, government bodies and universities, QSR’s research software is used across a broad range of industries, from tourism and urban affairs to human resources and law.
Mr Owen said over 70 percent of QSR’s income is export related, with XSight and NVivo 7 used by more than 350,000 people across Europe, North America and Australasia. He said last night’s win coincided with the company’s push into the Asian market.
“We know from our own research and sales that our software is changing the way people in Europe, North America and Australasia conduct research,” he said.
“We’re now seeing a growing interest in our software from countries like China, Malaysia and Japan. We intend to capitalize on that trend and take our products and services to commercial market research, government and academic clients across Asia within the next six months. It’s an exciting new direction for us.”
QSR International is based in Melbourne with international offices in the UK and North America. QSR will compete in the Australian Export Awards in November 2006. Information: www.qsrinternational.com.
Media backgrounder: quick facts about QSR International
- We are the largest privately owned qualitative research software developer in the world.
- Our head office is in Melbourne, Australia and we have regional offices in North America and Europe.
- We are the only organization in the world to supply software specifically developed for commercial qualitative research. In fact, more people use QSR software than all other research software combined.
- Our two flagship products - XSight and NVivo – are sold in more than 90 countries around the world.
- More than 350,000 customers use QSR software and more than 450 organizations hold site licenses for our software.
- We are the only developer in our industry to earn Microsoft Gold Partner status.
- We won the Information and Communications Technology category at the Governor of Victoria Export Awards in 2006 and 2001. We were highly commended in the same category in 2002 and 2004.
- In 2003, an industry study by ICT put QSR’s contribution to Australian IT export revenue at 3%. (Source: ICT Creates Half Australia’s Trade Deficit. Information Age p 14, December/January 2002-2003.)
- We have patents pending on a range of unique technological inventions.
- We are the most published software developer in the qualitative research field - our software is cited in textbooks, research literature, and journals worldwide.
- More than 70 experienced trainers belong to our software training program.
- We were the first in our industry to develop our software along Microsoft XP guidelines.
- We’re leading early adopters of emerging technology including .Net and Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express. Our NVivo 7 software was even used as a reference project at the Microsoft TechEd 2006 conference in the United States.
- While QSR was formally established in 1995, our company has its origins in 1981 – when the first software product, NUD*IST, was developed.